If you’re thinking about building a Patio, Pergola, or Verandah, you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed about the process. It can be hard to know what’s involved or whether you’ll love the final product. What about the Patio Builder? Can I trust they will do a good job? Do they specialise in designing Patios and Pergolas suitable for Melbourne Metro and Regional Victorian weather conditions? Will the Verandah design suite my Melbourne home?
When you’re starting to plan your Patio design or Pergola build, it’s important to have the right questions answered. These will help you decide which Patio Builder is best suited for your project. In today’s blog, we’ll outline the key elements involved in building a Patio, and help you feel more confident about your project. We’ll also provide a few tips on how to make sure that your Patio turns out exactly the way you want it to. So, if you’re ready to get started, keep reading!
Questions to Ask Yourself Before contacting a Patio Builder in Victoria
Before you meet with a Patio Designer in Melbourne, Victoria be sure to have an idea of what you’re looking for. Don’t worry about having all the answers – a professional Patio & Pergola Builder will help. A good starting point is to think about the kind of outdoor living lifestyle that you want to achieve.
What style of Patio do you like?
Are you interested in a stylish All-Weather Patio, Open Patio, Alfresco Screens, Pergola, or Verandah that will support your outdoor living lifestyle? Take a look at existing Patios to get an idea. Once you’ve found a few Patio pics that appeal to you, discuss them with the Patio Designer. If you’re looking for ideas for your next patio project, a photo gallery is a great tool to use. Browse through photos of different patios and take note of the different shapes and materials used.
You could also read some of the Patio Builder Blogs like this one about Patio projects to learn more about what will and won’t work for your outdoor living lifestyle. The best Patio Builder in Melbourne will help guide you through the process so that you don’t have all the answers.
Is more outdoor living comfort important?
Do you want a small, intimate Patio for dining and conversation, or do you need a large entertainment space with room to spread out on multiple pieces of furniture? What types of activities will you be using the patio for? What are your outdoor space restrictions? Are you interested in an All-Weather Patio that will maximise your ability to enjoy more outdoor living, all year round. Or is an Open Patio, Pergola, Alfresco or Verandah more suitable for you? The answer to how you will use the patio will determine the size and the type of patio that will suite best.
What are my Value Expectations?
Unless you’ve had your Patio built before, you may not be familiar with the associated costs or the expected value the project will return. Having an idea of ball park numbers can be helpful as you begin the planning process. At Apollo Patios, we are always focussed on building Patios throughout Melbourne and Regional Victoria that add property value. We are also very relaxed and interested in having a chat about how much funds you have set aside for your new Patio, and responsible finance options that are focussed on the best way to fund the project. Does the Patio Builder offer financing options and plans focused on the best way to pay?
8 Questions to Ask your new Patio Builder
At this point you may have an idea of what you’re looking for. It’s a good time to talk to a Patio Builder in Victoria.
There are different Patio Builders in Melbourne Metro and Regional Victoria, and it can be hard to know which one is the best for you. After all, you want to invest your time and money into a Patio Builder that is going to deliver on your outdoor living expectations. Doing a Google search, talking to friends or checking out social media can help. Asking these next questions will help you to determine whether the Pergola Builder is the right builder for you.
1. Which Patio Design is best for you?
Once you have answered the questions mentioned, your Patio Builder will be able to advise on patios that will fit your lifestyle and property needs. They will advise on the size, materials, and style of the Patio. The core elements to consider are the Patio Roof, Patio Floor (e.g. New Modern Outdoor Flooring and the Patio Sides (e.g. All Weather Patio Screens). There are a few key things you should consider when choosing the best patio for your property and outdoor living lifestyle aspirations. The major styles or types include:
2. How much experience does the Patio Builder have?
If you’re looking for a Patio Company in Victoria that truly knows what it’s doing, you should opt for one that has built a lot of Patios over the decades. A Patio Builder that has a national brand and has been in business many years, is a big green tick. At Apollo Patios we have built over 8000 Patios, Pergolas, and Verandahs, and we have been in business for over 30 years.
3. Will my new Patio look like an Add On?
Many home additions end up looking like an add-on or an afterthought. The key to a successful home addition is to ensure that it blends in with the existing style of your home and is sympathetic to its surroundings. The devastating consequence of failing to do this is that your property will depreciate rather than increase in value. In our Apollo Design Meeting our custom designs are focused on achieving more outdoor living and increasing property value.
4. Will the Patio Builder provide the right advice about building approvals?
Building Permit approvals are an essential step in the build process. Without the correct permits a governing body has every right to instruct you to remove your Patio. An un-permitted addition can also make a property harder to sell and end up becoming a liability rather than the asset, as it should be. Do not be caught out by believing you do not require a building permit. Apollo Patios will guide and manage the entire permit process for you.
5. Is the Patio Builder licensed?
Having untrained or unlicenced people building your Patio can result in an abundance of issues ranging from leaks to cracks to unstable and dangerous structures. This has the potential of leaving you with an inferior Patio without industry license protection, guarantees or warranties. You may not be able to claim future damages on your home insurance consequently. This must be avoided to ensure your peace of mind and the safety of yourself and your family. It is important to check that the patio builder is fully licenced and insured, how long they have been in business, and how reputable they are within the industry. It’s not just about having a warranty, but what’s included?
6. Will the Patio Builder tell you about all the costs, upfront?
It is very important to make sure that all costs are disclosed before agreeing to proceed. You should only sign off on an industry standard building contract which includes a building plan and a materials list that fully outlines every aspect of the project. A fixed price contract ensures no nasty surprises, hidden costs, or budget blow-outs. It is worth it, for your peace of mind.
7. What materials does the Patio Builder recommend for the 3 major Patio Design components?
It’s now time for your Patio Builder to tell you what types of materials might work best for the style that you like. They can guide you through the various options relating to the 3 major Patio Design components:
Roof Type – Flat, pitched, or other? Your ability to enjoy your Patio all-year round will be impacted by your roofing choice. In addition to personal look & feel preferences, the function of the roof is mostly about coverage, light and temperature management.
Flooring Type – There are lots of options her for example:
- Timber is advised if the flooring needs to be raised.
- Concrete can be left plain or can be coated / polished to achieve almost any look / patter.
- New Modern Outdoor Flooring, offers a durable solution and natural timber look without the maintenance issues of timber.
The Sides or Walls – Due to the volatile Melbourne and Victorian weather, without you could end up NOT being able to use for patio for most of the year, without the right sides or walls solution. There is no denying it, you can’t keep the cold, wind, and rain out of an open Patio. A roof will not keep the floor dry especially when rain is coming in on an angle.
Remember that special occasion that had to be moved indoors when the unexpected rain and wind crashed the party? Whether you’re building from scratch or upgrading an existing Patio, Alfresco or Pergola – the Apollo All Weather Patio Screens can be customised to suit your existing space in a variety of configurations. The Apollo Patios All Weather Patio System – a true lifestyle changer when it comes to all-year-round outdoor living… Without any of the baggage associated with blinds and glass. To learn more, click here.
The Apollo All Weather Patio System is perfect for:
Adapting to your changing lifestyle
- The flexibility of The Apollo All Weather Patio Screens means you can adapt your usage to handle Melbourne’s unpredictable weather.
- Entertaining all-year round.
- Relaxing in your own sanctuary after a busy day, any time of the day or year.
- Keeping out the cold, rain and wind means you have the flexibility of enjoy the space how, and when you want.
Putting you in control
Many of us are spending more time at home – working and socialising virtually with friends and family. Today, having an all-year-round functional outdoor area is more important than ever.
- Close and warm up your Patio during the colder months.
- Enjoy a relaxing and fully open Patio during the warmer months.
- Open and close your patio with no fuss and effort.
- Upgrades available for bug protection.
Good looks, great value
- The Apollo All Weather Patio Screens combine style and durability that create a modern and defining addition to any home.
- They will transform your Patio into a space the whole family can enjoy all-year round, while also adding huge value and equity to your home.
The Apollo All Weather Patio Screening System is exclusively designed and manufactured in our Melbourne facility. The system has become the market leader in home-outdoor sides and walls.
8. Does the Patio Builder offer a FREE Design Meeting, and what’s included?
The first thing to know is if the Patio Builder offers a professional Design Meeting with deliverables / plans at the end. If not, then it maybe an indicator to move on. At Apollo Patios, after receiving your enquiry, and having a brief chat to see if we are a good match, we begin the following process:
- We allocate 90 minutes for you of our Designer time for your project.
- Prior to the Online Design Meeting, your Designer will prepare by researching your property details through our online design portal and by accessing information available online. We will get an exact understanding of your property characteristics and boundary dimensions.
- Your Designer setup a drawing of your space so that you can meet in that drawing to discuss the area, and what you want to achieve in the area.
- If you’ve never met anybody online before, relax. We will do it all for you. All you need is an email address and the internet. With one click you will be face to face, online ready to see your patio dream come alive. It’s simple, interactive and puts you in control.
What outcomes can you expect from your Online Design Meeting?
It is the highest priority for our Design team to listen carefully to your design ideas and what you want to achieve in the space. You can expect the following:
- As part of your personal lifestyle drawing, we will add your anticipated furnishing items (seating, cooking, lighting, cooling/heating etc.) into the drawing. This will enable us to envisage how you will use the space once your design is complete.
- We will address, how the design will work with your existing home and contribute to property value. Also, how will the design address your long-term goals and current needs.
- Our Design will consider your All-year-round living needs. How do you expect to use the space all year round? This includes wind and rain management.
- Subject to design complexity, we will generally be able to give you a preliminary design and a clear idea of where the dollars may land.
- If required, we can touch on finance options and then put you in-touch with our specialist.
- The primary outcome is to create the best design for your lifestyle goals to bring value to your property.
The dream of more outdoor living is closer than you think
Designing and building a new Patio is like adding another layer of beauty to your home. You’ll have an amazing space to enjoy with friends and family, as well as the perfect spot to relax after a long day. By knowing what questions to ask and by having the right information, you’ll be able to avoid the 7 Alarming & Costly Mistakes that you can’t afford to make.
To see your dreams come to life, you need to hire a Patio Builder that has the skill and expertise to get it right, the first time. You don’t want to end up with expensive mistakes, or a patio that’s completely different from your vision. Choose a Patio Builder that has the know-how and resources to make sure your dreams become a reality.
The gift of creating memorable moments with family and friends in your own tranquil space, will last forever. Whether you are transforming your existing patio / alfresco into an Apollo All Weather Patio or building from scratch – Home is where the heart is! If you need a little more style inspiration – check out our Gallery & Testimonials to see some of our amazing before and after transformations.
We would love to help you enjoy more outdoor living, and to love the way you live, with the ones that matter the most.